Nasal Valve Collapse-Latera Implant
The LATERA Absorbable Nasal Implant is used to support upper and lower lateral cartilage in your nose.
What is Nasal Airway Obstruction?
Nasal breathing delivers approximately 70% of airflow to the lungs. More than 20 million Americans are estimated to suffer from nasal airway obstruction (NAO), which limits airflow through the nose with significant quality of life consequences.
Symptoms may include:
- Difficulty breathing at rest and/or while exercising
- Trouble sleeping
What Causes Nasal Airway Obstruction?
Even slight narrowing of the nasal valve can lead to significant reduction in airflow. Structural blockages in three areas are common:
- Septum: The cartilage wall between the nostrils can bend and block the nasal passage.
- Turbinates: Ridges of bone and tissue inside the nose can limit airflow when enlarged.
- Lateral (side) wall: Weak or excessively flexible upper/lower cartilage in the outer nasal wall may cause it to collapse inward when a person inhales.
Lateral wall collapse may equal or even exceed septal deviation as the prime cause of nasal airway obstruction.
Is Lateral Wall Collapse Contributing to my Nasal Airway Obstruction?
A clinician may use a number of approaches to determine whether the lateral wall is contributing to a patient’s Nasal Airway Obstruction. Examples include:
- A simple breathing test called the Cottle Maneuver
- Use of nasal strips during normal activity and sleep
If a patient’s symptoms improve from either of the above, he/she may benefit from support for the lateral nasal wall. The LATERA implant is indicated for supporting upper and lower lateral cartilage.
How does LATERA Work?
The LATERA Absorbable Nasal Implant is used to support upper and lower lateral cartilage in your nose. It is placed inside the nasal wall in a minimally invasive way. Supporting the cartilage in this manner may reduce nasal airway obstruction symptoms and help patients breathe better. The LATERA implant is made of a material that absorbs over a period of approximately 18 months, so can deliver support without limiting future treatment options.